The Government are spending over £450 million on this funding over the three academic years 2013 to 2014, 2014 to 2015 and 2015 to 2016.
The money goes directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, you can use your funding to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs.
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the school games.
- run sports activities with other schools.